What are they?
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM's seal on their diploma when they
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student's selected field
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job with employers.
Who are they for?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are:
- heading for apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
- wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
How can they help?
Students have the opportunity to:
- Gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school
- Earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications.
Specialist High Skills Major Fact Sheet
Fact Sheet: PDF, 235 KB
||Chef Mario Scozzafava of Saint Michael Catholic High School in Niagara Falls was an inspiration for student Brendan Tanner Murray. Through OYAP, he participated in cooking classes, completed the SHSM program, and was registered with the Niagara Parks Commission (NPC) as an apprentice cook. He received the Aramark Food Services Bursary when he graduated.
Want to find out what's available?
Specialist High Skills Majors available in 2015-2016
To access school address information, please check the School Information Finder.