What Parents Need to Know
A positive school climate and a safe learning and teaching environment are essential if students are to succeed in school.
Positive School Climate
A positive school climate means everyone – parents, students, staff and community members – feels welcome and respected.
Ontario's New Approach
Ontario's new approach to making schools safer involves progressive discipline. This involves the whole school and combines discipline with opportunities for students to continue their education. Students will also have more opportunities to learn from the choices they make.
Progressive discipline promotes positive student behaviour. It also enables the principal to choose the consequences that are appropriate to the student's needs and behaviour.
The Facts on Suspension and Expulsion
Use the following guides to learn about:
- what can lead to suspension or expulsion
- what factors will be considered before students are suspended or expelled
- what programs are now available to help expelled students or students on long-term suspension keep learning and get back on track.
- Suspension and Expulsion: What Parents Need to Know (PDF, 344 KB)
- Suspension: What Parents Need to Know (PDF, 165 KB)
- Expulsion: What Parents Need to Know (PDF, 166 KB)
Find statistics on suspensions and expulsions.