A safe, inclusive and accepting school environment is a necessary condition for student success. Students cannot be expected to reach their potential in an environment where they feel insecure and intimidated. We are committed to providing all students with the supports they need to learn, grow and achieve.
Building a positive and inclusive school climate requires a focused effort on developing healthy and respectful relationships throughout the whole school and surrounding community, among and between students and adults. This involves a sustained long-term commitment to put this into practice and change school culture.
See what people are saying about Ontario's anti-bullying plan.
On June 5, 2012, the Accepting Schools Act passed third and final reading. The Act requires all school boards to take preventative measures against bullying, issue tougher consequences for bullying, and support students who want to promote understanding and respect for all.
The legislation builds upon our Equity and Inclusive Education and Safe Schools Strategies that help make Ontario schools safe, inclusive and accepting places to learn. The legislation is part of a comprehensive action plan which includes:
- New mental health workers in schools, as part of Ontario's 10-year Mental Health and Addictions Strategy, and expanded tele-psychiatry (video counselling) services for kids;
- Direction to Ontario's Curriculum Council to report on strengthening equity and inclusive education principles, and bullying prevention strategies across the curriculum and suggesting ways to support this learning in Ontario schools;
- A public awareness campaign that will stress that all Ontarians have a role in preventing and ending bullying; and
- An Accepting Schools Expert Panel to provide advice on evidence-informed resources and practices that focus on a whole school approach, including bullying prevention and intervention.
- Information for parents about the Accepting Schools Act (Bill 13)
- Ontario Standing Up For Bullied Students
- Premier McGuinty Joins “It Gets Better” Project
- Ontario's Safe Schools Strategy
- Ontario's Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy (2009)
- Giving Bullied Students Hope
Information for Parents on Safe Schools
There is a wide range of materials developed specifically for parents, including an overview of Ontario's approach to discipline, information on bullying prevention and new requirements for responding and reporting. Learn more.
Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week
Learn more about Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week.