Safe and Accepting Schools: Awards Criteria
Nominations are now closed.
Thank you to everyone who nominated a safe and accepting schools team.
What are the awards criteria?
Recipients of the Premier's Awards for Accepting Schools will be safe and accepting schools teams who:
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity, and leadership in at least 3 of the following areas related to school climate, as identified in the ministry's Promoting a Positive School Climate resource (PDF, 80 KB):
a) Student Voice
b) Parent Engagement
c) Community Partnerships
d) Learning Environment
e) Social – Emotional Environment
f) Physical Environment
- Identify the specific challenges faced by the team and how they were addressed.
- Provide evidence that their activities have made a significant difference in the school/school community.
Who is eligible?
All safe and accepting schools teams across Ontario.
Who makes up a safe and accepting schools team?
Every school in Ontario has a safe and accepting schools team that is responsible for fostering a safe, inclusive and accepting school climate.
Every team should include at least one student.
Every team must also include the principal and at least:
- one parent
- one teacher
- one non-teaching staff member
- one community partner, e.g., public health unit or the local police
The chair of the team must be a staff member.
An existing school committee such as the healthy schools committee can add to their responsibilities and assume the role of a safe and accepting schools team.
Anyone in the school community can nominate a safe and accepting schools team for a Premier's Award for Accepting Schools, and a team can also nominate itself.