Frequently Asked Questions
Congratulations to the 2015-16 Premier's Awards for Accepting Schools award recipients! Thank you to everyone who nominated a safe and accepting schools team.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I want this to be a surprise. Can I nominate a team without telling them?
No. The team must agree to be nominated.
Although there are many outstanding people working on safe and accepting school teams, not all are comfortable with being in the spotlight. Please make sure the team is willing to be nominated.
2. Can a team nominate itself?
Yes. The nomination package must also include two letters of support templates from people who are not on the team or related to a team member.
3. Can additional information be included with my nomination package (e.g., photos, letters from students, additional letters of support over and above the two requisite letters)?
A complete nomination package includes the nomination form and two letters of support templates. If additional items are included in the submitted nomination package, this material will not be considered or evaluated or returned to the nominator.
4. What activities can be included in the nomination form?
Besides safe and accepting school initiatives, teams can include other components of "well-being" in their nomination form, such as mental health supports, healthy schools programs and equity and inclusive education initiatives.
5. How can I learn more about student well-being? Can I offer ideas about how to support student well-being in schools?
We want to hear from you about how to support safe and accepting schools and other components of well-being, for all students from Kindergarten through Grade 12. You can learn more about how we are promoting well-being at ontario.ca/studentwellbeing.
6. Is there a limit on the size of a team being nominated for an award?
No. However, every team should include at least one student. Every team must include the principal and at least:
- one parent
- one teacher
- one non-teaching staff member, e.g., educational assistant, and
- one community partner, e.g., staff from a public health unit or police services.
7. Our school's team received an award last year. Can they be nominated for this year's awards?
Yes. However the nomination must focus on work your safe and accepting schools team has done since last year's nominations closed at the end of February 2016.
8. Can I fill out my nomination form electronically?
Yes. The nomination form is a fillable PDF file you can save, so you can complete it electronically. Please attach the two scanned signed letters of support templates to your completed form and submit by email. Remember to save a copy for your records.
9. Can I submit my nomination by mail?
We do not accept nominations by mail or courier. The complete nomination form with letter of support templates must be emailed to Curriculum Services Canada at email@example.com.