Supervised Alternative Learning: Policy and Implementation
Supervised Alternative Learning: Policy and Implementation, 2010, is a guide that provides support for the consistent implementation of policies and programs that are intended to re-engage young people fourteen to seventeen years old who are not attending school and who are therefore at risk of not graduating. It includes clarification of policy contained in the Ontario Regulation 374/10, “Supervised Alternative Learning and Other Excusals from Attendance at School”, information on delivery considerations, and suggestions and resources (including templates) to assist boards in developing plans and processes for Supervised Alternative Learning (SAL).
This document is available as a PDF document (1.13 MB). In addition, the appendices which include sample templates are available in Rich Text format.
- Appendix 1: Checklist of “Pre-SAL” Procedures (RTF, 171 KB)
- Appendix 2: Template for a Request for Supervised Alternative Learning (RTF, 130 KB)
- Appendix 3: Template for a Supervised Alternative Learning Plan (SALP) (RTF, 208 KB)
- Appendix 4: Sample of an Employer Agreement for a Student in Supervised Alternative Learning (RTF, 100 KB)
- Appendix 5: Template for a Letter Notifying a Parent of the SAL Committee's Decision – Approval Granted (RTF, 97 KB)
- Appendix 6: Template for a Letter Notifying a Parent of the SAL Committee's Decision – Approval Not Granted (RTF, 94 KB)
- Appendix 7: Template for a Letter Notifying an Employer Whether or Not a Student Has Permission to Work (RTF, 95 KB)
- Appendix 8: Template for a Monitoring Log for a Student in SAL (RTF, 102 KB)
- Appendix 9: Template for a Request for the SAL Committee to Renew Supervised Alternative Learning (RTF, 98 KB)
- Appendix 10: Template for a Transition Plan (RTF, 144 KB)
- Appendix 11: Using the Ontario Skills Passport to Track Development of Essential Skills and Work Habits (PDF only) (PDF, 424 KB)
- Appendix 12: Sample of a Student Agreement for a Non-credit SAL Work Placement (RTF, 95 KB)
Ontario Regulation 374/10, “Supervised Alternative Learning and Other Excusals from Attendance at School” can be found at: www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_100374_e.htm.