Parent Engagement Policy
Involving Parents in the School
We believe that good schools are even better when parents are involved and engaged. By engaging more parents in their children's education, their children will achieve more and we will boost confidence and pride in public education in Ontario.
Parents in Partnership: A Parent Engagement Policy for Ontario Schools:
- recognizes and supports the important role parents have contributing to their children's learning at home and at school
- recognizes, encourages and supports many forms of parent engagement
- identifies strategies to remove barriers to parent involvement (e.g. communications and language)
- supports parents to acquire skills and knowledge they need to be engaged and involved in their child's learning
- provides a parent voice at the local level (e.g. Parent Involvement Committees, and school councils and as well as individual parents talking to teachers and principals).
A Parent Engagement Policy for Ontario Schools, 2010 (PDF, 557 KB) provides the vision for parent involvement; sets out four strategies for success; includes an action plan for schools, boards and the ministry; and showcases some of the many exemplary practices across the province.