Special Education Regulations
A number of regulations made under the Education Act concern
special education in whole or in part.
181/98: Identification and Placement of Exceptional Pupils
- Governs the identification and placement of exceptional
pupils, IPRC reviews, appeal procedures, and the role of
parent(s)/guardian(s) in these processes.
Highlights of Regulation 181/98
306: Special Education Programs and Services
- Defines the requirement for each school board to maintain a
special education plan for the delivery of special education programs and
services, and sets out the authority for the Minister of Education to require a
school board to amend its plan if necessary.
464/97: Special Education Advisory Committees
- Sets out requirements for school board Special Education Advisory Committees
(SEACs), such as their role, membership, and scope of activities.
- Regulation 298:
Operation of Schools-General
- Contains certain qualifications for special education teachers, a
provision for reducing the length of the school day for exceptional pupils,
and maximum class size provisions for special education classes.
296: Ontario Schools for the Blind and Deaf
- Sets out operating procedures for the Provincial Schools for
the Blind and Deaf, and also describes duties of teachers, residence
counsellors, parents, and superintendents at these schools.