Support for children with special needs

Some children may need some extra help to participate in programs. Children with special needs may require personalized attention, recreational activities that are specially planned for them, or special toys and equipment. Learn more about the resources available in your area to support children with special needs and their families by contacting your Consolidated Municipal Service Manager (CMSM) or District Social Services Administration Board (DSSAB). For those First Nations with provincial child care contracts, please contact your local band office administrator.

The ministry provides funding for special needs resourcing to CMSMs, DSSABs and First Nations so that children with special needs can get the extra help they need.

Who is eligible?

  • Children with special needs up to the age of 18 who are in a licensed child care program – either home care or a child care centre.
  • Children with special needs aged six to 18 who are in approved recreational programs

How does it work?

The government provides funding to CMSMs and DSSABs. These municipal service managers then provide the funding to agencies that provide special needs resourcing to pay for staff, equipment, supplies and other services to support the inclusion of children with special needs in child care and recreation programs. Parents cannot apply directly for this funding.

For more information, contact your CMSM/DSSAB.

Other supports and resources available for families with children with special needs:

Supports for school-aged children
Your child may benefit from special education programs and services offered at their school.

Ministry of Children and Youth Services
The ministry provides information about infant hearing programs, speech and language programs, infant development and more.