Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q: Does my program require a licence?

Q: How much will my application cost?

Q: Where do I submit my application?

Q: What happens after I submit my application and fee deposit?

Q: Once I have applied for a licence, are there documents or resources available to help me meet the licensing requirements?

Q: How long does it take to become licensed?

Q: Can I provide care to children while my application is being processed?

Q: What research should I do before submitting an application?

Q: What municipal approvals are required to open a child care centre/home child care agency?

Q: What are Consolidated Municipal Service Managers (CMSMs) and District Social Services Administration Boards (DSSABs)? Where can I find the CMSM/DSSAB who services my local municipality?

Q: Who provides materials such as toys or cribs for my child care centre or in the homes that are contracted through my home child care agency?

Q: Will the Ministry of Education help me find staff or children for my child care centre or home child care agency?

Q: If I no longer want to open a licensed child care program, can I withdraw my application and get a refund?

Q: Can the Ministry of Education refuse to issue me a licence?

Child Care Centre Specific Questions

Q: Can I have an in-person consultation with a Ministry of Education Program Advisor before I apply for a child care licence? Can a Ministry of Education Program Advisor visit potential child care centres with me?

Q: Do I need to rent or buy the child care centre premises before I submit an application?

Q: Where can I get funding to open a child care centre?

Q: Can I open a child care centre in my house?

Q: What are the qualifications needed to be the licensee or supervisor of a child care centre? Do I need to be a Registered Early Childhood Educator?

Q: I want to buy a child care centre that is already licensed, what do I do?

Home Child Care Specific Questions

Q: Are home child care premises licensed by the Ministry of Education?