What to do if you have concerns about your child's care

It is important for parents to be informed when making decisions about child care.

Child care should be an enriching and satisfying experience for your child. You should always feel confident that your child is in a healthy, safe and happy environment.

If you have concerns or complaints about an unlicensed child care provider, please contact 1-844-516-6263 or use the registry of unlicensed child care violations to find out if your unlicensed child care provider has any violations against him or her.

Parents should be aware that in Ontario, unlicensed child care providers are not regulated by the government. This means they are neither licensed nor inspected. However, the ministry does investigate all complaints from the public about child care providers who may be:

  • providing care to more than five unrelated children without a licence.

  • providing private-home day care at more than one private residence without a licence.

Unlicensed Child Care Centre Complaints: January 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012

  Total Complaints Required site visits that were not completed Addressed with Site Visits: July 12 – August 9, 2013
Barrie 68 18 18
London 57 2 2
North 9 0 0
Ottawa 30 4 4
Toronto Central 56 0 0
Toronto West 54 0 0
Ontario-wide Totals 274 24 24

Unlicensed Child Care Centre Complaints: January 1, 2013 – July 12, 2013

  Total Complaints Required site visits that were not completed Addressed with Site Visits: July 12-19, 2013
Barrie 38 0 0
London 23 0 0
North 7 0 0
Ottawa 24 0 0
Toronto Central 40 1 1
Toronto West 42 0 0
Ontario-wide Totals 174 1 1

Percent in Compliance (18 Months: January 1, 2012 – July 12, 2013)

Overall Summary by Region

Region Total Complaints # of N/A* Complaints Visits Required  % of Providers in Compliance: 1st Visit % of Providers in Compliance: 2nd Visit % of Providers in Compliance: 3rd and Subsequent Visits**
Barrie 106 18 88 50% 91% 93%
London 80 0 80 78% 98% 99%
North 16 3 13 62% 92% 100%
Ottawa 54 9 45 69% 91% 98%
Toronto Central 96 15 81 69% 96% 96%
Toronto West 96 18 78 56% 91% 92%
Ontario-wide 448 63 385 64% 94% 96%

*N/A: Not Applicable – Complaints were beyond the scope of the Day Nurseries Act (not related to the number of children in care)

Child care programs located in:
Barrie: the Counties of Bruce, Grey, Northumberland, Simcoe; the Regional Municipalities of Durham and York (includes Vaughan); the Cities of Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes; and the District Municipality of Muskoka
London: the Counties of Lambton, Norfolk, Huron, Oxford; the Cities of Brantford, Hamilton, London, St. Thomas, Stratford, Windsor; the Regional Municipalities of Niagara and Waterloo; the Municipality of Chatham-Kent
North: the Districts of Cochrane, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Timiskaming, Algoma, Kenora, Manitoulin-Sudbury, Rainy River, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay; the City of Greater Sudbury
Ottawa: the Cities of Cornwall, Ottawa, Kingston; the Counties of Renfrew, Hastings, Lanark, Leeds & Grenville, Prince Edward/Lennox & Addington; and the United Counties of Prescott & Russell
Toronto Central: the City of Toronto
Toronto West: the Counties of Dufferin and Wellington; and the Regional Municipalities of Halton and Peel

In addition, the ministry will provide information on request regarding unlicensed child care providers who have been found to be caring for more than five children under the age of 10 without a Day Nursery License.

Talk to the staff or your caregiver

If you have concerns about your child's care your first step should always be able to talk to the staff or your caregiver. Here are some tips:

  • Schedule a time with your caregiver to talk about your concerns. That way, both you and the staff or caregiver will be ready to talk.
  • Be prepared. Make notes ahead of time about your concerns.
  • Be clear about what's being said. If you need clarification or have concerns about your caregiver's response, ask him or her to explain it further.
  • If necessary, arrange a follow-up meeting.

Talk to the College of Early Childhood Educators

If you have concerns about a Registered Early Childhood Educator providing care to your child, contact the College of Early Childhood Educators to submit a complaint.

Children in Need of Protection

If you have a reasonable suspicion that a child may be in need of protection, you must report it to a Children's Aid Society in your area. A child in need of protection is a child who appears to be suffering from abuse or neglect.