Frequently asked questions for Phase 2

Authorized recreation programs and before & after school programs

Licensing Clarity

  • Informal child minding is often provided at schools to enable parents/guardians to attend school council meetings and other school functions. Is this permitted under the new rules?

  • Do Phase 2 Regulations prohibit camps for children under 4 years of age?

Age Groupings and Ratios

  • What is the family age grouping and why is this new model being made available?

Health and Safety

  • Are home child care providers who provide overnight care to children required to do visual and physical checks on sleeping children during overnight hours?

  • How does the revised regulation address children when they are sleeping?

  • What does "placed for sleep in a manner consistent with recommendations set out in the most current version of the Joint Statement on Safe Sleep: Preventing Sudden Infant Deaths in Canada" mean?

  • What changes were made to the requirements in Ontario Regulation 137/15 around immunization exemptions?

  • The regulation says "employees" in child care centres who may be counted towards ratio requirements need to have standard first aid certification. Do "duty parents" (volunteers) in co-operative child care centres still need to get standard first aid certification?

Emergency Planning

  • My child care centre is located in a publicly-funded school which already has an emergency management plan in place. Do I as the licensee need to develop a separate one?

Vulnerable Sector Checks and Offence Declarations

  • Can you please clarify what the window around the five year renewal requirement for Vulnerable Sectors Checks (VSCs)? Can a person obtain their new VSC months or even a year before its due? And what is the window after its expiry?

  • If a provider is not caring for any children in his/her home but is still in an agreement with a home child care agency, if she receives children 7 months later will she need a new offence declaration?

Home Child Care

  • Will the government be providing more guidelines on how a home child care agency should determine the capacity of a home child care provider?

  • How will the ministry ensure that licensed home child care agencies are providing appropriate support to home providers?

  • What changes were made to Ontario Regulation 137/15 with regards to the use of pools, ponds, etc. in home child care locations (licensed)?

  • If a home child care provider is a qualified life guard as set out in the regulations, can s/he be the provider and the life guard or does s/he need to hire a lifeguard who is a different person?

Serious Occurrence Reporting

  • What changes did the ministry make to "serious occurrence" reporting requirements?

  • What would be the difference between an issue that gets reported through the procedure outlined in the parent handbook and something that must be reported as a serious occurrence?



  • How will the ministry enforce the rules?

  • If a home child care provider contravenes the rules and cares for more children than permitted, will the home child care agency be issued an administrative penalty?

  • How will the ministry ensure the administrative penalties are issued in a fair and consistent manner across the province?